Everyone, at any time, can develop any health risk based on life choices, environment, age, and nutrition. Also, your gender plays a huge role.
Although men are also prone to these diseases, we will be discussing the top 10 diseases that affect women and how you can prevent them.
Yes, more women suffer from heart disease than breast cancer. According to the WHO, cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) are the number one cause of death globally: more people die annually from CVDs than from any other cause.
In the United States, Heart disease accounts for around 27 percent of all female deaths and kills more women than all forms of cancer combined; nearly 500,000 women annually.
The most important behavioral risk factors of heart disease and stroke are unhealthy diet, physical inactivity, tobacco use, and harmful use of alcohol. Of these, the most prevalent causes of CVD in Nigerian women are unhealthy diet and physical inactivity.
Nigerian food is usually heavily spiced with salt, palm oil, and red meat. Salt has been proven to increase the chances of developing heart diseases as they cause an increase in heart rate. Excessive consumption of palm oil leads to a high level of cholesterol in the blood which predisposes you to CVD.
How can women prevent heart disease?
- Perform regular health checkup: Heart diseases don’t usually show symptoms until an attack, hence the need to regularly undergo checkups. Doktorconnect provides an annual wellness plan that provides expert checkups on the heart, kidney and seven other wellness tests.
- Engage in physical exercises: whether you’re a stay home mom, work in the corporate world or own a business, your body needs at least 30 minutes of exercise a day to function optimally. It can be as easy as stretching or walking or walking down your steps several times a day. Make it a priority to be active for at least 30 minutes a day. If you need help maintaining a routine, the Doktorconnect app has plans and reminders to suit your needs
- Improve your diet: A diet low in fat and rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can help your heart. Be more intentional about the food you eat, the quantity you take in, and the time of day. Take heavier meals for launch and engage in physical activities afterwards. As much as possible, have your dinner before 7 pm, it will aid your digestion and reduce the chances of developing stomach fat.
Cancer is the second-highest threat to a woman’s health and they come in different forms; Breast, cervical and ovarian cancer. Cancer accounts for 22% of female deaths and kills almost 270,000 women in the United States each year. According to the Nigerian Medical Journal, breast cancer is the most common cancer in women worldwide, in Nigeria, with a population of about 187 million people, it represents about 12% of all new cancer cases and 25% of all cancers in women.
How can women prevent cancer?
- Know your body; this is one of the most important ways to protect yourself against cancer. Regularly perform self-assessment. If you notice a change in your body, consult a doctor. Early prognosis is the best treatment for cancer.
- Eat a healthy diet; Yes, it’s here again. Healthy diets are your one sure way to prevent diseases; it keeps you fit and boosts your immune system.
- Get regular checkups. Doktorconnect provides 24/7 access to a doctor and a robust wellness plan designed to meet all your health needs.
Gynaecological Health Issues
Irregular cycles and painful monthly cramps can be common, but you don’t have to adjust to them. If you experience added symptoms such as; delayed cycles, bleeding between menstruations or unusually frequent urination, you need to consult a doctor.
Common gynaecological conditions
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Menstrual pain and irregularity
- Pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS)
- Ovarian cysts
- Pelvic pain
- Uterine fibroids
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Acne and abnormal female hair distribution
- Genital tract infections
Most times, the best treatment is early detection. Don’t manage your health, improve it. Consult a doctor early and frequently.
Start by downloading the Doktorconnect App on Android and iOS. All doctor consultations are FREE for your first month