In simple terms, telemedicine connects patients to health care professionals from a distance. Meaning you do not need to leave your home to get the care you need.
The medium of communication can be via video, voice calls, or messaging.
With telemedicine, you can discuss symptoms and medical issues with a doctor. Doctors, on the other hand, can prescribe medications, recommend medical tests and provide second opinions on test results.
Telemedicine makes it easier and faster to receive healthcare.
In Nigeria the need for telemedicine surged due to the COVI-19 imposed lockdown. When people couldn’t leave their houses to visit a doctor physically, they had to seek alternatives.
How does a telemedicine appointment work?
Telemedicine appointments work just like physical doctor appointments; only better. All discussions with the doctor are private and confidential.
With Telemedicine, you avoid the stress of transits and possible traffic. All you need is a mobile phone. You book your appointment via an app just like you would for a meeting.
Your online doctor will ask you questions and work with you to establish your symptoms and provide prescriptions and advice, providing the same quality of care you would get in a face-to-face visit.
What are the benefits of using Telemedicine?
Telemedicine truly is the future of healthcare. Here are some of the reasons why;
- Immediate access to a doctor; telemedicine increases the ease of consultation. In cities such as Lagos with heavy traffic, telemedicine ensures you save time and cost. On the Doktorconnect app, you can easily book a doctor who’s available at your timing.
- It is cheaper than physical doctor consultation; with Doktorconnect you can consult a doctor for N1000 as many times as you need in a month. The average doctor consultation in Lagos is N5000 per visit. Telemedicine saves money
- It prevents emergencies; Easy and regular access to a doctor reduces the need for emergencies and patients can consult a doctor in a timely manner.
- 24/7 access to your medical history; With telemedicine, you can easily access your medical history. Physical hospitals usually store patient history on their premises making it difficult for patients to access. You cannot improve a situation you’re not aware of.
- Partnerships with other healthcare providers; Telemedicine service providers usually partner with hospitals, health insurance providers, pharmacies, and medical laboratories. This reduces the burden on the patient to source for medications or medical tests after doctor prescriptions.
Who can use Telemedicine?
Telemedicine can be used by anyone above 18. Parents/guardians can also use telemedicine on behalf of their wards.
How can I start using Telemedicine?
Start by downloading the Doktorconnect App on Android and iOS. All doctor consultations are FREE for your first month.